Monday, February 18, 2008

She's Quilting.......


Emily has officially machine quilted her first quilt. Granted it is a small quilt (probably about 36" square)....but she managed to quilt the entire thing in about an hour and a half. She is so much like me it is scary. Once she got started.....she did not want to stop. I had to beg her to take a break and stretch out her shoulders.


And she is getting so comfortable with the machine that I find I can do other things (like cut out a pattern next to her) while she is sewing. She was a little disappointed that none of my walking feet seemed to work well on her Bernette 65. So we pulled out "Big Red" and hooked up the Bernina walking foot. This is such a great machine. I got it used last fall to take to classes and to use as basically a portable machine. The girls affectionately nicknamed it because the dust cover is a bright red canvas material. I also used it to quilt the little jacket I made Elisabeth last fall. That same jacket and matching skirt are now hanging on display in one of our local heirloom stores....because Elisabeth has still not worn it. Now you see my dilemma with Easter just around the corner.....I may have to come up with some good bribes in order to have matching Easter frocks. We'll see.....Any ideas??????

5 comments:

Amie said...

What a sweet little blessing your daughter is :)

Hopewell said...

About the matching outfits thing. Cave. Either let HER pick them or agree that she's growing and changing and may want to look different! It's ok. It happens. That jacket, by the way, is one of my favorites of all the things you've posted.

Oh yes, great job teaching her to quilt! My Mom, at age 71, still has a quilt square she hand quilted with her grandmother back in the mid-40s! Great memories.

Cindy said...

Thanks Amie....she is a sweet girl!!

Cindy said...

Hopewellmomschool....actually she has been given the choice of deciding what she wants to wear. She is just having a hard time deciding. But it will all come together in due time. Thanks for the thoughts though. And yes, I love this jacket too!

That's great about your mom's quilt. What a great memory for her!!!!

Anonymous said...

Emily is amazing. I am so proud of her. I can't wait for the finished product!

Related Posts with Thumbnails