Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Tuesday's Tip......


This is a simple tip...but one I did not know for many years. When you start sewing at the beginning of a seam, hold the two thread tails down gently with your left hand until you have a few stitches completed. This will anchor the threads which could otherwise get pulled into the bobbin area and create a "bird's nest" on the underside of your fabric. Not fun. I did it many times before I realized how easy it was to avoid. Try it if you don't already....and see what you think.
In the above photo I am working on my "block of the month" quilt block. It is due this Friday....I always seem to wait until the last minute. Fortunately they generally go together pretty quickly. I'll post a picture when it is finished. Is anyone else sewing today? What are you working on????

7 comments:

Ruth said...

You've been busy...sewing cute clothes for your children and making quilt blocks!

I love reading your blog.

The dB family said...

I am hoping to work on some summer jammies for my girls today.

Shannon said...

I'm working on Simplicity 2923, the new Project Runway shirtdress. I'm really itching to start a new smocked project, though. I haven't decided what. My son wants a shirt smocked with Pumpkins, and there's a gorgeous bishop with a lace collar in an old issue of AS&E. Decisions, decisions...

Shannon F

Anonymous said...

Excellent tip. I hate those bird nests. They always seem to ruin the edge of the fabric, and tearing them out is a nightmare!

Cindy said...

Thanks Ruth!!! You are always such an inpsiriation for me!! I am glad you are still reading....sometimes I think I'm writing to myself.

Deborah....I am so glad you found my little blog. I enjoy your visits!!! I hope you post your finished jammies for your sweet little girls. I'd love to see them!!

Shannon...decisions, decisions...you are right. It is always hard to narrow it down isn't it. All of your work is gorgeous. I look forward to seeing what you make. I've never made any of the PR patterns...I can't wait to hear what you think.

Missy...thanks. Glad I'm not the only one offended by the thread "bird's nests!!" Sometimes it takes me awhile to catch on and figure out a way to avoid things.

Shannon said...

Bird's nest! That's a great description for it!

By the way- I tagged you- hope you don't mind. Check out my blog for details!

Shannon F

Karina said...

I want more time.... but i will oneday.... I am sorta working on a pillowcase....

Related Posts with Thumbnails