Saturday, January 29, 2022

How to Make Elderberry Syrup...


Have you ever made elderberry syrup? It really is super simple to make and tastes pretty amazing!!! I think you should try it!!! Yes, I realize this is predominately a sewing blog, but we need to maintain our health and immunity so we can sew more!  Right? That's my plan anyway! So let's jump right in!


Elderberries (Sambucus Nigra) are deep purple berries that are known for their history with boosting the immune system and treating colds, flus, and other viral infections.  I also like to add rose hips to my elderberry syrup because they are high in vitamin C.  You could also add other things, like cloves, ginger, cinnamon, etc.  I personally prefer the combination of elderberries and rose hips. 


I like to make elderberry syrup a few times a year to have on hand for my family.  We take it as a prevention over the winter months, and we also take it a bit more often if we do find that we are feeling under the weather.  


I would like to share my recipe with you all today.


Here are the ingredients that I use:


1 cup elderberries, dried

1/2 cup rose hips, dried (optional, but I like them)

2 cups water

Local honey (amount explained below)


Let's get started:


Measure your dried elderberries and rose hips into a medium-sized pan. Add in the water and bring to a slow boil.  Turn down the heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring gently here and there.


Using a fine strainer, strain out the plant materials, collecting the liquid in a clean container.  (I collect it in a glass measuring cup.)  Then measure how much of the liquid elderberry-rose hip liquid you have.  Measure out the same amount of honey and stir it into the elderberry-rose hip liquid.  


Pour your syrup into a jar with a tight-fitting lid, store in the refrigerator, and use the syrup within the next three months.  Also make sure to label your jar with the contents and the date you made it.


To use for prevention:


Children take 1 tsp. daily

Adults take 1 T. daily


To use when ill with a viral infection:


Children take 1 tsp. several times daily

Adults take 1 T. several times daily


Some misc. random thoughts:


*This is a cross post from my Cindy Johnson Homeopathy website.  It can be found here if you are interested in following me for health and homeopathy.  


*A good friend of mine pours some of her syrup into ice cube trays and freezes them before putting them into a container and storing in the freezer.  She said this way she always has some available and she can quickly thaw out a cube or two in the refrigerator.  I am definitely going to try this!


*Dried elderberries and rose hips can be purchased from your local herb shop.  If you don't have a local herb shop to support, you can also purchase online.  


*Also please make sure to use local honey. It really makes a difference!


*I am not a medical doctor and the information I share is solely for educational purposes.  Please consult your doctor if you have any questions or concerns about using this elderberry syrup. 


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails