Monday, June 04, 2007

It's The Simple Things......





Earlier today, after getting Ethan down for his much needed afternoon nap, I came around the corner and found the girls busy drawing and coloring. They both can and do spend hours drawing, writing, coloring, making books, etc. Just in case someone may think the girls don't use the items I make for them: think again. They use these fun little portfolios almost daily. We go through a lot of paper in this house. And I love that they enjoy playing together. These are the memories they will have the rest of their lives.
I personally believe children should have lots of down-time and time to explore their interests. Therefore we don't spend a lot of time out and about or in the car. Think of all the wonderful moments we would miss out on. This is a simple pleasure for all of us. Also, I endeavor each day to make just about all of our food from fresh and whole foods. We use virtually no processed foods. Why should I when it is so easy to make healthy foods. For example.........



....last night Wayne came home from the store with some fresh strawberries. He requested a strawberry and banana milkshake. Tonight after dinner and clean-up he asked that I make the shake for him/us. It was fantastic!!! We make a lot of smoothies but this one is actually more of a milk shake. But the neat thing is that it requires no ice cream. Take a look at the recipe:


2 cups cold water

1 1/2 cups nonfat dry milk powder (I buy it in bulk from a food co-op.)

1/2 cup sugar (I use Sucanat)

1 tablespoon vanilla

1 banana

5 strawberries

Lots of ice

2 tablespoons vegetable oil and a 5 second squirt of non-stick spray for emulsification process (This recipe cannot be made successfully without this addition. I wish it could because I rarely use veg. oil...but alas, it can't.)

Put all the above in a blender and process for two minutes. We have a Vita-Mix, which we love, and I turn it on for about one minute. YUM!!!!! (This recipe can also be altered for a vanilla shake or a chocolate shake.....similar to a Frosty. For a vanilla shake - delete banana and strawberries. For a chocolate shake - increase sugar to 2/3 cup, decrease vanilla to 1 teaspoon, and add 1/4 cup of cocoa powder.)

The older I get the more I realize that simple is usually better! Fortunately, Wayne agrees....or maybe he's really requesting more milk shake.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful. That's why I spend so much time at home with my children. We have a lot of silly conversations, and do lots of crafts together. Recently, we have taken to walking on the beach and looking at shells and wildlife. I wouldn't trade one moment of this for anything.

That shake does look yummy. My kids love the smoothies with frozen fruit and yogurt. If you start them off young, they will keep healthy eating habits. I still use sugar, turbinado, not processed or bleached. I can't imagine eating a bleached product. Yuck!

Related Posts with Thumbnails