Sunday, August 12, 2007

Another Block and Thoughts on Organization.....


I finished up this block just in time to take to the quilt shop this past Friday. And the most exciting part was that while I was there I purchased some fabric to make a baby quilt for a friend's baby shower. I love making baby quilts....they are generally pretty quick to make...or rather the ones I chose are generally pretty quick. I have made great progress already. Hopefully I'll have it finished and ready later this week.


Since my machine is in the shop again, and the loaner they gave me is giving me fits, I've been trying to organize some of my sewing/crafting supplies. For example, I have lots of different needles for different uses. I have cross-stitch needles, smocking needles, hand quilting needles, heirloom embroidery needles, heirloom bullion needles, needle point needles, etc.

So I decided to try out the idea of using these zip-loc baggies that I generally use for my embroidery floss. One of the ladies at my quilting/cross-stitch shop introduced me to them last year. They are baggies with two holes punched in them so you can put them in a special binder to keep them together. Well, I like the concept, but instead of buying a binder I just tie them together with yarn. I have quite a bit of yarn around the house.

So then I decided to try the same thing with my bobbins. So far I only have five bobbins. I will get more because I am one of those people that likes to have LOTS of empty bobbins just in case. But anyway, I use so many different types of thread that I get confused. I have read where some people write on the bobbin what kind of thread is on it....but I don't care for that idea because I may change the thread and forget to change the info on the bobbin. And if I accidently use my water soluble thread....that would be bad. So I decided to try this baggie idea out with my bobbins too. I just included a piece of index card with the thread info on it including the color.


And for my next embroidery project I have organized my floss in some baggies as well. The lady that I mentioned earlier actually taught me to take the labels off my floss and then cut one side of the loops. Then whenever I want to use the floss it is already in pre-cut pieces. What a neat idea....and one I would have never thought of on my own. (The floss in the above picture has not been cut yet....but I will cut it when I start the project.)

I am sure there are better ideas out there...but for now I will try these and see how it goes. I was already thinking that a small inexpensive photo album might be a good alternative for my needles if the baggie system doesn't work. I like to keep my stuff in the original packaging whenever possible, so I always try to keep that in mind.

I have lots of projects underway.....another dress for Elisabeth, the baby quilt previously mentioned, Emily's quilt, a quillow for Ethan, and an heirloom project. I think that's enough to keep me busy and out of trouble for awhile. Now, if only my machine would come home soon!!!

3 comments:

Amie said...

Sounds like a lot of fun projects. I really like making baby quilts too.

What kind of sewing machine do you have?

Katie said...

I hope your machine comes home soon! Mine is ready from it's annual check-up. I'm going to get it tomorrow (I wanted to go today, but Addie started a fever after lunch, so she went off to bed). I can't believe the loaner is acting up now. ARGH!

I have been organizing, too. Seems like you asked me for tips in that email I owe a response to. I bought some more large rubbermaid totes, and some little rolling three-drawer carts. Now I have places for just about everything in my sewing room. But, it could still use some help.

Anonymous said...

That looks like a pretty good system. How are you storing all those little bags? I try constantly to get and stay orgnized, but, it always ends up a mess. With me and the kids using the crafting stuff, it never goes back the way it came out. I just wait until it drives me crazy, and then sit down and re-organize all over again. I hope your system keeps you put together. You would think that after a while, the company should give you a new replacement machine since that one is obviously flawed!

Related Posts with Thumbnails