Friday, February 22, 2008

Another Sweet Wee Care Dress.......


I wanted to see what the crochet edging would look like on a sweet little Wee Care gown and bonnet for our local NICU.



I smocked the dress and then placed a couple of bullion rosebuds around the neck. I really like to smock with white floss on white material. And I also enjoy making the precious little rose buds. I still need to embroidery something on the bonnet as well.
And I crocheted into entredeux that I placed around the sleeves and bottom hem. I once again used a shell stitch that I saw in a magazine awhile back. I have seen this method of using entredeux in a handful of places including Australian Smocking and Embroidery magazine and also Samantha of the Handmade Dress has a book available that describes the process a little, as well as has seven patterns for crochet edging. The technique certainly isn't new as I have some crochet edging books from the 1940's (compliments of one of my sisters who is the queen of thrift stores) that use it. But it sure looks sweet!!!

Here's a picture of the full dress. It is so small it is crazy. I used the Grady Gown Wee Care pattern that uses a ribbon drawstring at the neck edge. This pattern was created by the Atlanta Smocking Guild many years ago as I understand it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Cindy, that is absolutely beautiful! It's so not fair that you have that kind of talent! Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Such a sweet little wee care gown - I love the crochet edgings. :)

Cindy said...

Thanks Missy!!! You have lots of sewing talent as well!!! I know these things!!!

Cindy said...

Thanks Cheryl!!! Yes, I love the crochet edgings as well. They give the dresses even more sweet elegance. Thanks again.

Shannon said...

This little gown is just beautiful and the crocheted edging adds such a sweet touch. This is just awesome.

Shannon F

Cindy said...

Thanks Shannon!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails