Thursday, December 14, 2006

The Daily Grind



I have been working on Christmas cards the past few days. As a result, this is about the only thing crafty I have accomplished......I managed to cut out my next two sewing projects. Another jumper for Emily out of the solid red pinwale pique/gingham and a dress for Elisabeth out of the red/ivory print. Hopefully I can get busy sewing them in the next day or so.



In the meantime, we have been invited to dinner with some sweet friends of ours on Friday night. All they want us to bring is homemade wheat bread and cheesecake. I think I got the easy end of the deal. I had to grind some wheat tonight so I can mix up the bread tomorrow. Here are the wheat berries about to be ground up.



And here is the resulting flour. I grind it and store it in the freezer for a couple months at a time....or until I run out and need to grind more.



And here's the yummy chocolate chip cheesecake. This is the easiest cheesecake recipe ever. This is the same recipe we make and deliver to our neighbors (6 families) each year. I like baking it in the foil pie pan because the recipients do not have to return it. Makes everyone's life easier.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That cheesecake does look yummy. How can you go wrong with cheesecake?
Those patterns are cute. Where did you get the Libby pattern?

Cindy said...

Missy,

Can't go wrong with cheesecake in my book!!!

The Libby pattern is a Children's Corner pattern. They are available in the heirloom type sewing stores (in my area anyway) or online from many different sources. Here is the direct link to the company:

http://www.childrenscornerfabric.com/

Karina said...

yummy!

Anonymous said...

Do you mind me asking about the grinder? What is it exactly?

I have two brothers who grow hard wheat...is it possible to just grind that up and use it?

Cindy said...

Sonja...I purchase wheat berries through the health food store or through a food coop...and then I grind them up to make whole wheat flour. In most recipes I use some whole wheat flour and some white flour. I've always heard whole wheat flour helps regulate your blood sugar better than all white flour. If your brothers grow hard wheat you can probably grind it up and use it. Ask them. They probably sell it and then people like me buy it to grind up.

Hard wheat is better for yeast breads because there is more protein in it. Soft wheat ground up becomes whole wheat pastry flour which is good for items not using yeast. I can further clarify if needed....I was just trying to give you an idea of wheat. Let me know if you have more questions....but definitely ask your brothers about the wheat they grow. Blessings, Cindy

Related Posts with Thumbnails