Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Two Pleats and A Flower........






I am so tickled about this sweet new outfit for Elisabeth. I used left over fabrics that I already had and tried to draft out a pattern that was similar to something I had seen in the ready-to-wear market. I love it!!! I mentioned two surprises in the last post....they are the pleats and the flower. I love the little surprises in the details!!!




Also in the last post I mentioned a little about the ankle-length pants. I've noticed this length being very popular this year in both children's and women's clothes . I remembered to measure her this time before I started so I was able to get a custom fit for her in pant length, width, etc. I also dressed up the pants by adding the contrasting facing to the bottom inside of the pants, as well as the side split and the gathered contrasting ruffle. So springy!




And for the top....I drafted it to have two inverted pleats in the front. It wasn't too difficult as long as I kept my calculator close by. I also lined the entire top which kept me on my toes. It wasn't as simple as I had expected. However, the first prototype always helps to identify areas I need to improve upon the next time. So now that I am armed with a couple of tips to make the next one even better.....I am on the lookout for new fabric. Also on the top you can see I applied piping pretty much everywhere. I used up every last scrap of my green gingham to make piping. In the end I had two inches of piping leftover. Perfect!!!




I don't know why I am always so compelled to balance out an outfit....but I am. So I made this pretty little flower that just worked perfectly on this top. These fabric flowers are so simple and quick to make. I learned how many years ago from one a nice lady gave me in Tennessee. If anyone is interested I'll put together a little tutorial. But be forewarned...they are similar to yo-yos in that they are very addictive!!!!!!



I am always drafting up patterns here and there for this and that....but I think this one is by far my favorite. I had so much fun with it that I'm sure this will be the first of many more. I've already sketched out several more so I can start the "thinking" process. I always have to build garments in my mind before I do so with paper or fabric.

And for the ones really paying attention.....remember Emily's outfit I made a few weeks ago? Well this is where some of the leftover fabric came from for the new outfit for Elisabeth. So now they have another coordinating outfit. They truly enjoy being able to match...I don't force it on them. Really!









7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Precious outfit on a darling little girl! You know I love all the details!! :)))

Shannon said...

This is too cute! I love the fabric and the colors. Great Job!

Shannon F

Tamara said...

Very cute outfit! I love all the different fabrics but how they all pulled together with the details (piping, ruffle, flower). I love the flower and would love a tutorial.

Ruth said...

Please post a tutorial for the flower!

The outfit is adorable---perfect for warm weather. You sew beautifully!

Tori Leslie said...

Oh wow, that's real talent. You made that whole outfit with out a pattern, wonderful!
It helps that she's so adorable, she makes the outfit look even prettier!

Anonymous said...

That outfit is soooooo sweet. I'm sure Elisabeth is the cat's meow in it. I know Emily loves her skirt set too. At least you know what materials went into their outfits. And you also know they weren't made in a sweatshop somewhere!

Cindy said...

You all are so sweet. I thoroughly enjoyed dreaming up and making this outfit. I will work on a flower tutorial in the next few days or so. And I'm going to continue on in my quest of learning to draft patterns. This is way too much fun!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails