Saturday, April 19, 2008

Thoughts on Buttonholes......


I've been sewing for quite a while. I started using my Mom's old Singer when I was around 8 years old. I used to make barbie doll clothes....and then quickly progressed to making clothes for myself and then my nieces and nephews. All of that to say....I am pretty sure I have always put buttonholes on the right side of the back of a girl's shirt/dress. I never even thought about it.

Imagine my surprise when I was challenged by a lady here locally about my "improper" placement of buttonholes. So my question is this: which side do you put your buttonholes on when making a girl's dress or shirt???? I promise I won't be offended either way. I'm not trying to convert people.....just curious. I find myself polling people that sew all the time. Our local heirloom store owner says she has always put them on the left side and she always will. No hard feelings with her either....plus she alerts me when great magazines and books arrive at her shop. I have to like her!


I tried to get a few "action shots" of Elisabeth in her new outfit. But the sun was so bright and beautiful.....it was a little tricky. But she did wear it (notice all the wrinkles?)....and she loves it!!!! Success!!!

And you all spoke and I listened....I will be working on a fabric flower tutorial soon. I am demonstrating the elastic thread in the pleater technique at our Smocking Guild on Monday night so I am currently preparing for that. Then I'll be busy on the tutorial. Promise!

12 comments:

Ginny said...

I've always put them on the left; that's the way the patterns I've used to it, too.

Tamara said...

Every time I go to put I buttonholes I cannot remember which side. Sometimes I look it up (or go find a piece of clothing). Sometimes I don't. I guess I don't really care what side they get on as long as they button. Guess I should pay more attention.

Amie said...

I put them on the left.

Anonymous said...

I put them wherever the pattern calls for. I really don't think it's a huge deal, as long as they work and keep her shirt on!

Linda said...

I vote for continuing to do buttonholes the way you've been doing them. In the scheme of things, it really doesn't matter. Just tell the woman who challenged you that you march to your own drum!!!
Linda

Anonymous said...

Cindy - I have always lapped right over left for girls and left over right for boys. *I* think your local lady is incorrect...in Elizabeth Travis Johnson's "The Complete Book of Sewing for Children" on page 43 instructs the seamstress with these words..."Girls' garments button with the right over left and boys button with the left over right."

On page 81 of "A-Z of Sewing for Smockers" is stated..."In general, lap the right back over the left for girls garments and vice versa for boys."

The photoed examples in both books look exactly like your sweet little top.

I would love to know why your local lady thinks you are not doing your buttonholes the correct way...Most all patterns I've ever used show right over left for girls.

Family W said...

I put them on the left, but that's only because I can only sew by patterns, I'm not creative any other way. :) I have to have instructions to just about anything. :)

Love all of your projects and your pictures are always so bright and pretty.

God Bless,
Lynn

Katie said...

I have just always done them wherever the pattern tells me to. I was aware of the boys one way/ girls the other theory, but I think that's just plain silly. Do boys and girls unbutton their shirts in some way so differently? I have never understood that. I think it's just an old custom. But there is no reason to do it any one particular way.

Nell said...

Hi, Cindy. I put the buttonholes on the right for girls. I love your little outfit - it's adorable no matter which way the buttons go.

Nell

Shannon said...

I've made dozens of shirts and dresses, and I have to check the pattern every single time to see which side to put the buttons on. I can never remember, and I'm sure I've done it "wrong" more than once. If I saw an outfit as cute as yours, it would never even occur to me to check to see what side the buttons were on, I'd just be impressed by the adorable outfit and the great workmanship. Maybe I'm just too sensitive about it, but it seems kind of rude to me to question someone about where they sewed their buttons.
Anyway, this outfit is precious and I can't wait to see more!

Shannon F

tgillock said...

I was at my local fabric/smocking shop yesterday and all of her display outfits that button up were done the same way as yours. I think the lady that wants to show you how to do it the "right" way is wrong herself. I love all your stuff, so cute!!

Cindy said...

I appreciate everyone taking the time to comment. And like I said, I'm not trying to convert anyone to my way of placing buttonholes....just curious as to how others do them. I always love to get comments...so keep them coming!

Related Posts with Thumbnails