Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Sweet Baby Dress......



I am not sure why, but I've really been enjoying sewing up baby dresses lately. And I'd better find some fresh, sweet babies or start selling my work. I don't know what it is about cotton batiste, entredeux, and lace....but I love heirloom sewing.


(above the neckline looks a little strange....but it is because of the area where the doll's body and neck meet)

This little dress has lace that I gathered and placed around the neck and then lace and entredeux on the sleeves. In additon, lace is also around the bottom of the dress. Across the chest is lace insertion...which I loved doing. The lace is applied and the fabric behind it is actually cut away. It was really fun and something new for me. I love learning new techniques. Once I finished the dress I could not decide on an embroidery design for the front, but I knew I wanted something delicate and petite. So, finally one day out of pure spontaneity, I grabbed my embroidery stuff and stitched this sweet bullion rose bud with some leaves and french knots. Nothing spectacular....but at least the dress was finally finished. I need to work on creating better original embroidery designs. But....oh, how I truly love doing handwork. The pattern I used for this dress is by Michie' Mooney of Creations by Michie' and the size is 3 months. Stay tuned...because this is the first of three baby outfits I am working on.

Oh, and as a sidenote, the quilt the baby doll is sitting on is actually a quilt I made several years ago for Emily. We all still love this quilt. I love the colors in it....they just make me happy. The design came from the Ursula Reikes book titled Even More Quilts For Baby and I believe the fabric was from Moda.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sure does look like a lot of work. If it makes you relax, then sew away! I hope the girls appreciate all the work you put into their baby dolls' outfits.

Anonymous said...

precious little dress :)

Karina said...

very nice!

Cindy said...

Missy....thanks. I really don't let the girls play with the baby dresses....we just dress them for a quick photo.

Cheryl...thanks!

Karina...thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails