Thursday, January 31, 2008

Retro Bishop Dress....


Two weeks ago I walked into our local heirloom sewing shop and the owner approached me carrying a bolt of fabric (100% cotton lawn) and two little skeins of embroidery floss. She asked me if I would be willing to construct a bishop dress in Elisabeth's size for her to display until the beginning of summer. At that time she will return it to me for Elisabeth to wear/have. Me? Well, I was flattered of course and quickly agreed. (Did you notice she provided the fabric and floss for free?)

The fabric is nothing I would have chosen for a sweet little bishop dress. It honestly reminds me of bed sheets from the 1970's. But I have to admit it has grown on me over the past two weeks. The shop owner wanted me to make the angel sleeve version. I have never made a bishop with angel sleeves so I was a little unsure of my ability to construct them well. Fortunately, they came off without a hitch. I love them!!!!

As for the smocking design, I was given free reign, as long as I used the light green and light purple embroidery floss. The pictures don't really show the purple in the fabric very well...but it is there. I used a variation of the smocking design included in the Ellen McCarn Bishop pattern.



I had first thought I would make bullion roses to complete the smocking/embroidery part....but towards the end I thought the dress needed something different. So I played around with some scrap fabric and floss one night and these sweet bullion flowers were born. I love them and can't wait to make more!!!! So today....I ironed for oh, about an hour (this is 100% cotton lawn remember?) and then we loaded up to make the delivery. The shop was BUSY...so I really did not get to talk to the owner much. I hope she likes it. Oh, and did I mention the small fact that it will be on display at the Martha Pullen School of Art Fashion next week? Should I be nervous????

8 comments:

Susan said...

You go, girl!!! Of course she would choose you; you do beautiful work! The dress is beautiful, and the smocking just precious.

Cindy said...

Thanks Susan....you are very sweet!!!

Anonymous said...

It's perfect! Looks so sweet and cool for the summer and the shop owner will probably sell that entire bolt of fabric because of your little dress. Many people cannot picture a completed dress in their mind - seeing one hanging in the shop gives them ideas and inspiration. Good Job! :)

Linda said...

I'm so proud of you!!! You are a very talented seamstress. Lots of crafters will be envious of the dress you have created. Way to go!!!

Roberta said...

Very beautiful! I love the fabric and angel sleeves and the little flowers are the perfect touch. Your dress will make a gorgeous display.

Anonymous said...

It certainly looks like you've been a busy little bee. The dress is beautiful. I know the shop owner chose the right woman for the job. I told you that you should go pro!!

Shannon said...

Cindy,

This is adorable! I love the fabric, the colors, everything! And the little bullion flowers are just the perfect touch. Your angel sleeves look great. It's so exciting to find someone who smocks! I hope you have another dress planned soon.

Shannon F

Cindy said...

You all are really too kind with your sweet words. I am very appreciative. The dress was actually very fun to pull together, even though I was working on a quick turn around. Thanks again for all the generous comments!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails