Saturday, July 28, 2007

Pretty in Pink



I have had Elisabeth's outfit completed since last Monday. However, for some reason it has taken me awhile to take the time to post it. But here she is in all of her pink glory.



When I asked her what fabric she wanted she responded, "I just know it has to be pink." The girl knows what she wants.



Once again the outfit is completely reversible. I used cotton pinwale pique for the solid pink as well as this precious cotton with pink rosebuds on it. For the piping, ruffle and applique I used gingham. You truly aren't surprised, are you????


Elisabeth has worn the outfit several times already and it fits great. And instead of putting a ruffle around the bottom edge of the skirt, I put piping. You can't really see it in these pictures....but I think it looks good.



This was the first applique I have done in forever! My friend Paige recommended a neat technique that utilizes water soluble thread. So I cut out two hearts and sewed them together using the above mentioned thread. Then after trimming and notching the curves I cut a slit in one of the hearts and turned it right side out. Then I pressed it. After I was sure I had the one side just how I wanted it.....I turned the steam on from my iron and steamed it so that the thread dissolved. Then I pinned the heart onto the shirt and applied it using the blanket stitch on my machine. It worked fantastic. Now I am ready to applique something else.
The kids and I made the trek to the Martha Pullen school one day this week to shop at the marketplace. It was amazing. I picked up several items including some past issues of Sew Beautiful, a couple new patterns including a fun skirt for me, and some new scissors. I am sure there are a few more things....but I just can't think of them right now.
I have spent any free time the past several days trying to organize my sewing space. Summer always seems like the time to organize things. I spent hours in the girls room this week as well. I can't figure out how toys and dolls seem to multiply while we sleep. I guess it is the same way my fabric and pattern stash seem to grow when I am not looking. But I like it that way!

3 comments:

Katie said...

What a sweet outfit! I love that it's reversible.

Do you have your machine back yet?

Anonymous said...

Elisabeth looks so very cute in that pink outfit. I love the idea of the water soluble thread. I would have never thought of it. I just fight with the hem as I work my way around the applique. It sounds like you had a rather productive week. I keep spinning my wheels. I can't wait until I get moving forward again.

Lillian said...

Cindy,

I love the outfits!! And what a wonderful idea of making them reversable!! You've inspired to take out our easel board and leave it up permanently. Thanks for visiting me! I hope to be back often. God bless you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails