Thursday, May 31, 2007

Piping For Fun!!!




I finished up this little dress for Elisabeth last night. It's funny how I can work on a project feverishly for a couple days and then let it languish for awhile just waiting for something simple....like a hem. I started this dress a week or so ago and put the entire thing together in three days....including all the piping. All it lacked was the hem. Finally last night I pulled it out and with just a little bit of work and effort another dress was completed.





With the addition of my new pintuck foot, piping now is actually fun!!! Who knew???? I love the floral fabric that Elisabeth chose for this dress. I, of course, am the one who chose the gingham for the piping, lining, buttons, and placket. Has anyone noticed that I love florals and gingham together????





I used a French-inspired pattern called Pascale, designed by Laura Jenkins Thompson for Sew Beautiful magazine. It was included in Issue No. 80, 2002. I used the pattern but put the dress together far different than the instructions indicated. I guess I have made enough of this type of dress over the years and therefore I have my preferred methods. Good thing....because as soon as Emily saw this one....she decided she had to have one JUST LIKE IT!!! Fortunately the heirloom shop still had the fabrics. They have now been washed and dried and ready for me to trace and cut out the pattern. Whenever I make two of something the second one seems to take me longer to finish. I will have to challenge myself to get this one completed quickly. I actually look forward to making more piping....crazy, I know!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the dress. Yes, I did notice that you, and the girls, tend to lean towards the floral-gingham combos! There's nothing wrong with that, they have good taste. I usually shy away from piping. I usually get it caught in the seam, and it comes out uneven. I shall have to obtain a piping foot. I'm sure Emily will love her version of the dress as well!

Ruth said...

It's those wonderful details like piping and covered buttons that make even the simplest outfits extra-special. I love the outfits you've been sewing lately!

Jennifer said...

this dress is soooo cute. i love the colors.

Roberta said...

Beautiful dress Cindy! Floral and gingham is such a classic combo.

Related Posts with Thumbnails