Here is the cute little ornament I mentioned before. I have come across lots of directions for these ornaments....but none that really seemed to work for me or that used the size styrofoam ball that I had. So two weeks ago I spent any free time I had working on creating my own version. I think it came out well. So well, in fact, that I was able to write up the directions and demonstrate how to construct it at our last Smocking Guild meeting. The smocking design I used is from a Sew Beautiful 1988 Holiday Issue.
(bottom of ornament)
The "end caps" seem to be what give people the most grief. I tried to think out of box and do something different. I gathered this pleated trim I found at the local heirloom shop. I also covered a button and stitched it in the middle and then stitched the entire "end cap" to the ball.....twice, once at the top (with a ribbon hanger added) and once at the bottom. You could also use a lace rosette, a ribbon rosette, a yo-yo, etc. You get the idea.
It's funny but Ethan loves this ornament and was worried when I took it to the Smocking Guild meeting that I would leave it there. I guess he had reason for concern because the ladies there wanted me to use it for the door prize that night. Sorry ladies....maybe next time!!! But I did give them the directions to make their own!