Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween 2010......


Another year of Halloween sewing is behind me. I should have known not to silently cheer when the kids kept telling me over the past few weeks that they did not want to dress up. Then yesterday when the realization hit them....it trickled down and hit ME too. They quickly decided they in fact DID want to dress up. So around 2 pm yesterday I visited the local H*bby L*bby with three little ones in tow. At first they could not decide what to dress as. Finally Elisabeth and Ethan agreed on Woody and Jessie from Toy Story. And then Emily decided on Clara Barton. We tried to brainstorm fabrics and patterns while standing there...and this is what we came up with.


I quickly drafted a pattern for a vest for Woody. I have not finished the edges but I will in the next few days. I can already tell this is going to be a favorite costume for Ethan...he insisted upon wearing it out to lunch today!!! For Woody's shirt I used the Luke pattern by my friend Paige. I drafted out the long sleeves on the fly...but it turned out great. What you don't see here is that I also drafted out long sleeves for Elisabeth's size too...and MADE the shirt....but Elisabeth decided last minute that Jessie should wear a white shirt....**sigh**. I also drafted out the chaps for Elisabeth on the fly....I used thin elastic around the back of her legs to hold them on and 3/4" wide elastic around the waist to hold them up. Too cute!!! And we know that Jessie usually has a red hat...but we could not find one on such short notice!


And Emily has already said this is her most favorite costume EVER! She has always loved learning about Clara Barton. She picked out a beautiful blue fabric for the dress. And she also picked out a pattern by one of the big four companies...it actually wasn't too bad. I rarely ever use them anymore because I really don't like them....but this one worked out fine. Although I did have to sew in 6 darts...even the sleeves each had a dart!

So there you have it.....Halloween 2010. I don't even like Halloween! My kids do not like scary stuff...and so they have always been good about dressing up in fun stuff or even as historical figures. One year Emily dressed up as Betsy Ross....that was still my favorite!!!

Ok, gotta run now. I'm worn out from all the sewing in such a short time frame. Now I need to clean up my mess and get working on the program for our next Smocking Guild meeting. Hope you all had a great weekend!!!

1 comment:

dlogan said...

OMG friend, you are in fact the best mother! My grown(almost) children bemoan the fact that I never sewed them a Halloween costume. Your children look so cute.

Darby

Related Posts with Thumbnails