Sunday, May 25, 2008

Highlights From The Past Week......



I briefly mentioned on Friday that we had had a full and very fun week. Our local smocking guild had it's monthly meeting last week. We had the honor of Michie Mooney of Creations by Michie as our guest teacher. We had such a wonderful and informative time. She is always a lot of fun too. There is no sitting around being quiet when she is around....but it is a good thing. She is always laughing and telling funny stories. For our meeting she demonstrated how to make this cute little satin stitch turtle by hand. No one finished theirs at the meeting...but she gave us enough direction that I was able to easily finish it the next day or so. I really enjoyed it and thought it would be very time consuming...but it wasn't. I love hand work....I generally find it pretty relaxing. I think this turtle would be really sweet on a gown or diaper shirt for a fresh new baby. I actually need to make a little baby boy outfit for a friend....hmmmm, I could do something like this.




And the other major exciting thing that happened was that all three of my little ones were asked to be in a photo shoot for Sew Beautiful magazine. We've known about it for several months now....but I did not want to mention it until it had taken place. We traveled a little way for the actual shoot....but the kids were thrilled. Ethan did not have much time to warm up to the photographer before we started...but I think they got some great shots of him anyway. And the girls...well they did not have any problems smiling for everyone. They all looked so great. I am so proud of them. And I have to say that the staff of Sew Beautiful that we met....was so generous, warm and friendly. I wasn't sure what to expect but they far exceeded my expectations. And the photographer....Jennifer & Co. was exceptional at what she does....fantastic with children!! The magazine plans/works well in advance....so the issue that they will be in will not be out until next Spring/Summer.


So there is all my exciting sewing-related news for the week. I did manage some sewing here and there as well. I have a couple new items I need to get photographed. I am also preparing for our next two smocking guild meetings where I will be teaching all about crochet edgings on heirloom items. Lots of prep work.

7 comments:

Susan said...

Oh, how exciting that your kids will be in Sew Beautiful! I can't wait to see them. Please remind us when the issue comes out . . . I'm sure you will! LOL

Can't wait to see what's next - I love to see your pictures of your projects. I'm about to learn to embroider faces on sock dolls, something I've never done. The only embroidery I've ever done is cross stitch. I found a book at the library that makes it look easy - Sublime Stitching - so I will hopefully be able to have some success with that.

Chickie said...

YAY! Love the turtle! I can't wait to see your next projects!

Susan said...

Cindy, I sent you a private e-mail this morning, but now my e-mail seems to be messed up. Please let me know if/when you receive it, so I'll know whether I need to re-send it. Thanks!

The dB family said...

I love the magazine Sew Beautiful although I only own exactly one copy. I can never seem to find it when I am in magazine shops. I will have to search harder so I know where I can pick up next spring's issue. How exciting for you and the children!!

PS Love your turtle too! Embroidery is on my always growing list of things to do and learn. Perhaps when I am older... :0)

Cindy said...

Susan...Thanks! I've heard good things about that embroidery book. I bet you'll do great with stitching doll faces. Keep me posted!

Kelley...Thanks!!

Deborah...Thanks!! Yes, we are all very thrilled. My Emily told me after the fact...."Wow, it was even more fun than I had expected it to be." She said she is ready to do it again. On embroidery...I find it very relaxing...but some don't. Fortunately it is a very inexpensive hobby. Floss and fabric are pretty cheap. And patterns can be found free on the internet or children's coloring books even and then traced onto the fabric. Let me know if you need any help starting when you are ready. I can try and help.

Anonymous said...

We need a turtle tutorial....;) say that three times real fast!! :)

Congrats to your little ones for the photo shoot - can't wait to see that issue - keep us posted. :)

Cindy said...

Cheryl...I think you are the queen of embroidery!!! But if you are serious...let me know!!!

I'll keep you posted about the SB next year. Thanks!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails