Monday, March 31, 2008

Smocked Sundress For Elisabeth......






I had so much fun making this little dress. I first thought it was destined to become a little babydoll top coupled with a sweet pair of teal capris. However, as it neared completion....Elisabeth said she really wanted it to be a dress.






The fabric feels like a really thin cotton lawn. It pleated up beautifully. I smocked it while sitting outside with the kids on a couple of sunny days. The middle part of the front is not smocked and over time it should puff out a little. I like how the front has a tailored look to it with the piping and the binding. See the teal piping???? That was going to match the teal capris.






When it came time to finish the back, the pattern called for elastic thread to be shirred by the sewing machine in rows across the back. After I thought about it for awhile I decided to place elastic thread in my pleater and pleat the rows instead. That way the back is still stretchy as if it had been shirred and I think it was quicker than the machine stitching would have been. I also used a 45" width piece of fabric to make the back fuller rather than the smaller piece that the pattern called for. Overall I think the dress is adorable. And to make it perfect....Elisabeth worn it the very next day....for the entire day. I'd say that makes it a huge success!!! (Especially since she had to pair it with a sweater because it was only about 55 degrees here!)










8 comments:

Amie said...

Wow! Cute, cute, cute! Yes, I can see the piping, it looks great.

So elastic thread can work with a pleater, huh? Sounds easier than winding it around a bobbin.

Anonymous said...

It looks lovely. I'm sure Elisabeth was the bell of the ball. I hope she gets lots of wear out of it.

Anonymous said...

Wow! That turned out so cute! Pure Confection!!! :)

Shannon said...

This is so adorable. Great job! I love the colors and the piping sets it off just so. I'm sure it would have been cute as a top with capris, but I really like it as a dress!

Cindy said...

Thanks for all the kind words. I really had fun working on this dress.

Amie....yes, you can use elastic thread in a pleater. There are a few tips I will either create a post around or send them to you directly.

angie.a said...

Beautiful! Wow, great tip on the elastic thread in the pleater. Duh. why didnt' I ever think of that??

Samantha Caffee said...

It turned out precious! I have the very same fabric, won't it be interesting to see how two different people use the same fabric. I love stuff like that!
xo

Cindy said...

jemima bean...thanks so much. I know it almost seems too simple!!

Little dresses...thanks. I can't wait to see what you do with the fabric. Let me know!

Related Posts with Thumbnails