Friday, August 05, 2011

Bean Bags.......


The other day I mentioned I had started a new project. I like the ideas you all had of what it might be. I really should take the time to make a picnic quilt one day. And I really want to make a quilted tablecloth to go on our kitchen table! I have always wanted one and I think that would make our kitchen table look so charming. Maybe another year....actually, I think that would be a great winter project.

Anyway, I was making bean bags for the kids and Ethan picked out the fabrics for me. We will use them in all sorts of ways! One is it is a great technique to reinforce math facts with the little ones. We will toss a bean bag back and forth while calling out whatever math facts we are working on. For example, counting by 2's, 3's.......12's, etc. I have found that getting the kids active while working on math is very helpful for their memory retention.

Emily is desperately trying to teach herself to juggle using them. I taught myself to juggle oranges underneath our orange tree in Florida when I was about 11 years old. The kids think it is a riot that I can juggle and they beg me to perform for them all the time. I guess I should be glad they are so easy to amuse!!!

You all have a great weekend!! I am hoping to visit a new yarn shop I recently found out about.

2 comments:

Naptime Seamstress said...

Thanks for the idea - math facts and throwing a bean bag. We just started up school and my oldest is having quite the time remembering math facts from last year. I think this will help make it more fun!!

Karina said...

cute and love the idea of tossing them while reciting math facts etc.....

Related Posts with Thumbnails