Wednesday, May 04, 2011

Checking In.....

Hi Friends! Thanks for the emails full of concern for me and my family. I finally have internet access after quite a week.

One week ago today terrible tornadoes came through our state leaving behind a path of destruction. The kids and I were at home doing our usual mid-morning routine when we noticed storms were rolling in. We already had one storm that morning and now another was rolling in. We were in no way prepared for the storm after storm that rolled through our area the entire day.

I turned the television on to get weather updates and then noticed the sky was getting dark and debris was swirling all around. The kids and I jumped in a bathtub just as the power went out. From my position in the bathtub I could look out a north-facing window. The sky went almost black. We have since been informed that an F1 tornado came right down our street.

The sky lightened up a bit and after a few minutes we came out to see what had taken place. Almost every tree on our street was either snapped off or uprooted. We had debris stuck to all of our windows all the way round our house. Some homes had minimal damage. Fences on the street were down. Our 100 lb. gas grill out back had been twisted backwards and up against our back door. Screens were off of windows. Our plants in huge pots were gone...we have still never found them. I called Wayne to tell him (from the cell phone because we still had no power). He watched the radar and found a good time to come home because the tornadoes continued the rest of the day and into the evening.

We fared well into the night and the next day with no power. Then we were told it could be 5-7 days before our power returned. We decided to pack up and head out to find power, gasoline, food, etc. Luckily we had enough gas in our vehicle because when the power is out gas stations can't pump gas. I had never thought of this before.

We returned home last night to full power in our home. Our phone lines are still out but I am not complaining. I feel blessed for us all to be alive and well. While we were away we did not have access to television or internet so we are seeing it all for the first time. (Strangely I was able to post on FB while we were away but nothing else.) The destruction is horrible! So many innocent people lost their homes, property, possessions, and some even their lives. It's crazy. I know our God is in complete control. But I am still trying to digest it all. I'm praying for those that have lost so much and I hope you will too!!! I will be back soon but I think I'm going to spend a few days holding my little ones extra close!

9 comments:

Susan said...

I'm so glad you're all ok! I don't know where you live, so didn't realize that you'd been hit with one of the tornadoes. Praise the Lord you only had minimal damage compared to others!

Kelly said...

So glad you're ok! I live in South Alabama and I have been watching videos and looking at pictures and it's just awful! My husband is a pastor here. He left early this morning with some of our church members to take supplies to Henegar, AL. They chose a small town thinking most of the help and aid is going to the larger areas like Tuscaloosa and Birmingham. But yes, God is in control! He can make good out of any situation. It think our churches across the state and other southern states are truly being witnesses for the family of Christ!

Eileen said...

It is so good to hear from everyone and to know they are OK. The pictures are terrible to look at and my prayers go out to those who have lost so much.

Honour said...

So glad you are safe!

Laurie said...

Thanks for the update! Soooo glad you all are ok! You truly are blessed!

Ruth said...

I've been missing from the blog world for a few weeks and was surprised to read about your tornadoes today. Wow! I'm so thankful that your family is safe!

Liliane de Paula said...

Cindi eu moro numa cidade que nao tem tornado. Mas temos violencia permanente. Boa sorte. Vou acompanhar seu bonito blog.

Ellie Inspired said...

Hi Cindy! It was so nice to see a new blog post from you today. I'm sure the whole week feels surreal, especially coming back home and seeing the damage and seeing it on tv. Yep...you hold those sweet ones tightly and give thanks. :) Glad you're home!

Karyn said...

I am glad you are all safe. The storms over there have been so awful and i can't imagine the destruction.
Good luck with the clean up. Stay safe.

Related Posts with Thumbnails