Friday, April 08, 2011

Two Little Blue Dresses......



Some how in the day-to-day-ness I forgot to mention these sweet little blue dresses again. I did get them sent off to two very sweet little sisters and they did receive them. Judging from my friend's response, I believe they like them. There is something so innocent about these precious little dresses. I pray the little girls have lots of fun running and playing in them.

That's one thing I should mention....since I don't think I ever have before. I don't make clothes to hang in the closet. I honestly want my dresses...smocked or not smocked...to be worn and to be played in. All the dresses I've made for my girls have been washed and dried over and over again. And I don't mean on delicate cycle and hung dry. I toss them into the dirty clothes basket and they have a complete ride through the washer and dryer with all the other dirty clothes. I have never had a problem. And if one did get a stain....trust me, it's not the end of the world. I would rather the child enjoy wearing the dress and not worry about if it gets dirty...then to wear it and fear that it might get dirty.

Ok, enough already. Let's get on with this!


(The wind kept blowing...so that's why it's hanging strange)

Since I knew I was going to make two dresses I wanted the pattern to be relatively easy....i.e., no set in sleeves to deal with. So I picked this pattern by Creations by Michie. It is pattern #132 Sunsuit/Sundress. I also put 4" hems in the dresses so they can be let down as the little girls grow.



And I used a smocking plate from Michie's new book titled "Beginning Smocking." I was lucky when I pulled out all my floss choices and I had three colors that I thought looked good with the fabric. All in all, I really like the final results. Two sweet little blue dresses for two precious 2 year old twin girls!!! I really enjoy sewing for others!!!

9 comments:

Kellie said...

Bravo! Love this fabric. Doing something you love and sharing with others... twice blessed!

Jan M said...

Precious!
Loved your thoughts on wearing the clothes you make. Even if something does happen to one, it is a wonderful excuse to make more!

Shannon said...

Beautifuk dress- the smocking looks perfect! I love it!

Cindy said...

Thanks ladies. I had a lot of fun with these dresses. I wish I could just make things and give them away all the time. I would really enjoy that!

Shelley said...

Beautiful!

Do you mind sharing what floss colors you used?
Thanks!

Unknown said...

That is so gorgeous! I just love smocked dresses for little girls. That is one thing I have never learned to do. I was fortunate to have a dear friend smock several sweet dresses for my little girls (when the were little.) Great job!

Cindy said...

Karen...thanks so much!!! I find smocking to very relaxing. You could still try it sometime. I do think it is easier to learn if you can lean over the shoulder of someone who smocks. You could find a local smocking guild as well...www.smocking.org

Shelley...thanks! I did not write down the floss colors I used, but I tried to match the floss scraps up to my DMC chart and I think this is correct:

dk. blue - DMC #322
lt. blue - DMC #800
lt. green - DMC #369

I hope that helps you some. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Ivory Spring said...

What a sweet blue dress! Love it (them)

Karyn said...

I couldn't agree more. I love to see the smocked dresses I have made being worn over and over. I have boys so all my smocking goes to friends, who i hope use them more than once. My best day was turning up at a friend's house to see her daughter romping around in a smocked dress i had made for her older sister years before. Well loved and well used: i like that.

Related Posts with Thumbnails