Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Quilt Beginnings.......


Every time I visited our local quilt shop the past few months, there was a group of blue fabrics that called my name. I finally went back last Monday and purchased a piece of all eight fabrics in the collection. I brought them home and started working on the new baby's quilt. Wayne thinks they don't really look "baby" enough. But I continued on anyway.




Emily and I sat down and arranged the blocks in a diagonal pattern. I really like it. (I am stalled out right now waiting to pick up some quilting thread for the quilting part. I don't know why I always forget to pick the thread up while I am there getting the fabric....but it seems to happen every time.) I have safety pin-basted the quilt layers together and I plan to quilt on the diagonal, in both directions. And I did not pre-wash the fabrics like I usually do. Mostly because I am anxious to see what it looks like after its first washing...I really like the wrinkled look that generates.



In the meantime, I've pulled out these whimsical blocks that I did with the "block of the month" last year. There are only six blocks...but if I add some sashing and borders it just may be big enough for another quilt for this sweet baby. And I think it will be perfect for a baby boy. I'm still happy with the other quilt...but can a baby really have too many blankets and quilts? Not from my experience.





5 comments:

Karina said...

so pretty!

Hopewell said...

I love the blues! And, I think it's a great boy-baby quilt! It reminds me of the one my sil made my son on his adoption out of denim and my brother's old work shirts. Very "manly"

Kristie @ Me and My House said...

I'm seeing another class coming. I don't know how to quilt! I guess I'll have to add supper to the hot fudge brownies and ice cream.

Ruth said...

This will be the perfect quilt for your baby boy! I also love the look of a freshly-washed quilt after the quilting is done.

Casey said...

I'm liking the blues!!! And the bright colored one will be very fun also!!! How are you feeling these days...not to much longer.

Related Posts with Thumbnails