I think I might have shown a picture of this sweet little Wee Care Gown a month or so back...but I can't remember. But I am quite sure if I did...that I did not mention anything about the way I smocked it. I saw a ready-to-wear dress (in a larger size) that was smocked similar to this one. The front area of the smocking was back smocked in order to create a stable area on the front to put a picture smocked design.
This is one reason I love the Wee Care Gowns...they are the perfect canvas to try out new ideas and designs without investing much time or money, and in the end...they bless another family. It just all adds up perfect for me!!!
Anyway...this is my attempt to re-create this idea. Once I took the picture I noticed that the gown was not flat so that is why the smocking looks all wonky on the left side of the center. It really looks fine if you could see it in person...promise. I put a heart on the center area...because the size was perfect...but I think any other small design or bullion design would be splendid as well. I really like trying new ideas...especially when they come with a little personal challenge for myself!!!