Saturday, April 12, 2008

Some Sewing Highlights From My Week......

I am almost finished with a new outfit for Elisabeth. This one is completely designed by me (not a pattern company).....and I am tickled with it. And to top it off....I was able to use fabric I already had. To give you an idea of the outfit.....here is the bottom of the pants. I made a center-gathered ruffle (I'm sure there is a correct name for this????) and machine rolled and whipped the edges. I also put in side splits and a contrasting facing. I love to have little surprises like that.


And since my little ones always have to come to me and inquire which is the front and back of pants/shorts I make them...I thought I'd make it easy for them. I took a piece of twill tape and using the machine, embroidered a "4" (that's the size) on it. Then I folded it in a loop and tucked the raw edges underneath the waistband and then sewed the band closed after inserting and sewing the elastic. I love it!!! Why did I not think of this years ago? I do have the standard "Handmade by Cindy" tags that I used to place in garments I made for nieces and nephews (before I had children).....but I never use those anymore....not sure why. Well I guess I do know....I don't sew for the nieces or nephews anymore. And it seems like I should put "Handmade by Mom" tags in clothes for my children. And I don't have any! I should get some!

And don't pick fun that I still use pinking shears on some of my seams. On the crotch seam above I sewed the curve two times and then pinked it. I do have a serger....but it always seems easier for me to grab the pinking shears rather than the serger. I know....I need to work on that rationalization. But until then.....I like to pink seams here and there. No name calling, you hear? Plus my pinking shears were my grandmother's....sentimental attachment.

So these are two pictures that represent a couple of my favorite sewing things from this week. I hope to finish the outfit tomorrow and it will have another little surprise on it...well actually two. I can't wait to show it to you all. Now note to self: Get off the computer and get sewing!!! Pronto!!!

6 comments:

Tori Leslie said...

Oh wow, I can't wait to see the completed outfit. Looks so cute already!

angie.a said...

I can't wait to see the outfit! LOL at your pinking (from a fellow Pinker. We should form a club!)

Cindy said...

Tori...thanks. All I have left are the buttons and buttonholes.

Jemima bean....thanks. Yeah, I like the club idea!!! Think up a great name!!

Katie said...

I make those little tags too, but I also put the pattern # on them (because I'm not smart--or maybe motivated--enough to draft my own patterns, haha). Then later when I need to figure out what size to make a new pair (or I hated the fit of the pants and want to NOT make them again) I just look at the tag.

Hopewell said...

Just read all these posts---what a cute outfit!! Never given a thought to button holes! Not talented enough for 'em! I wouldn't worry about it!

Samantha Caffee said...

I always put a piece of folded rickrack in there for my girls :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails